Selling a product or service online requires careful planning. All successful businesses have one thing in common – planning is an integral part of their operations. An online company that knows where it is now, where it will be later on and how it will get there’ll thrive in the marketplace it works.
The basis of company planning rests on with a comprehensive comprehension of the vital factors that will influence your company. In the online business arena, an essential element is visitors. Driving visitors to your website ought to be at the crux of all your attempts in the business.
Getting the right set of keywords is a substantial step towards creating visitors. The way to get folks to flock to a site rests greatly on how search engines treat your own website. A well-designed site and a nifty name are good investments; but, having the ideal set of keywords will help your site gain greater visibility in search results.
This article will teach how to conduct proper keyword research by narrowing down the best keywords for your site. Through these eight steps, you will have the ability to know what words and phrases you need to target whether it is for natural SEO or PPC.
Google Trends is a tool that could help you better understand Google searches; it reveals how often a specific search-term is entered relative to the total search volume across various areas of the world, and in various languages.
Google Insights for Google is an extension of Google Trends and permits you to track various words and phrases that are being searched through Google. This instrument provides a more detailed image of the search results and will help you narrow down your key terms.
- Search Status Tool Bar Extension
A third party plug specifically for your Firefox and Mozilla that allows the user to see a site’s search-related information in 1 toolbar. The Tool Bar indicates a site’s Google PageRank, Google Category, Alexa popularity ranking, Compete.com standing, SEOmoz Linkscape mozRank, Alexa incoming links, Alexa related links and backward links from Google, Yahoo! and MSN.
III. NARROWING YOUR KEYWORDS
- Use Google Trends to determine search trends for the keywords you’re using to your site. Have a look at specific items associated with these trends – times of this year that a keyword is searched heavily, countries where most searches emanate and the particular towns of these countries.
- When deciding on the keywords to your site, the rule of thumb is that folks tend to use singular terms when they’re doing searches but utilize plural terms whenever they intend to buy. For instance “digital cameras” vs. ” camera” There are exceptions though and these ought to be noted. For instance “gourmet chocolate” registers more search quantity compared to “gourmet chocolates” To determine whether which is more valuable for you (i.e., has greater search quantity) go to Google Insights and do a comparison between the singular and plural forms of your keyword.
- Narrow down searches by country, state, city. The more specific a keyword or phrase is to a specific group the superior ranking results for a site.
Example: “Digital Cameras” vs. “Digital Cameras New York”
- The more specific the product is promoted to a person or group that’s seeking the product the more inclined they’d like to interact with you. Being specific in targeting your market is very important especially in pay-per-click advertising.
- Have a look at similar words or related phrases you might want to utilize to crowd your content. These related keywords are found when you utilize the Google Insights tool.
Examples of Digital Cameras:
- canon digital cameras
- canon cameras
- Best digital cameras
- sony cameras digital
Crowding out your content means using keywords that are related to your main keyword or phrase in your site’s pages.
- Check what spelling users utilize the maximum (motor bicycle vs. motorbike) to maximize searches leading to your site. Again, utilize Google Insight to verify which keyword provides better results.
- If Google searches show that competition for the keywords you selected is getting too aggressive it is a sign you have to narrow your intended audience down a bit; find a market for your product. Be market specific.
- When optimizing your website look at other variants you might need to think about for your intended market – this might include looking at what time of the year that the keyword is heavily searched. Assessing your website, hence, should involve the following formula = keyword special area particular period of the year.